Overview
- Speaking in the Oval Office on Monday, Trump said the administration will file a lawsuit to challenge the century‑old blue‑slip custom, calling it a nonbinding “gentleman’s agreement” that blocks his U.S. attorney and district court picks.
- Senate Judiciary Chair Chuck Grassley responded that nominees lacking a blue slip do not have the votes to clear committee or the Senate, arguing his approach positions Trump’s choices for success rather than failure.
- New Jersey Democrats Cory Booker and Andy Kim withheld blue slips for Alina Habba, leading the White House to withdraw her nomination on July 24, and Grassley said the committee never received paperwork to vet her.
- A federal judge ruled last week that Habba was unlawfully serving as acting U.S. attorney for New Jersey after her 120‑day interim term expired, following DOJ maneuvers that included Attorney General Pam Bondi firing a selected replacement.
- Republican senators, including Thom Tillis, have pledged to oppose nominees lacking home‑state support, signaling limited prospects for reversing the practice and underscoring a rare public rift between Trump and senior GOP lawmakers.