Overview
- Lawmaker hearings were extended to Wednesday to allow more lead evidence and to attempt playing the full recording introduced by Senzo Mchunu.
- The audio provided so far contains references to a promised “fight back” but not the alleged threatening words, with plans to locate and play the specific segment when proceedings resume Tuesday.
- Mchunu told the committee he briefed President Cyril Ramaphosa early this year and says the President agreed with his briefing, a claim questioned by the evidence leader.
- He acknowledged holding no dedicated pre‑decision meeting with National Commissioner Fannie Masemola, KZN commissioner Nhlanhla Mkhwanazi, or Crime Intelligence head Dumisani Khumalo.
- He defended the December 31 directive by citing budget pressures and complaints, and said he declined Mkhwanazi’s April multi‑party meeting request because it included an outside businessman.