Overview
- The agreement begins in 2026, includes a 2034 club option, and can reach $88.5 million with escalators tied to awards and catching workload, making it the largest pre-arbitration deal for a catcher.
- With Adley Rutschman on the 10-day injured list for a right oblique strain, interim manager Tony Mansolino said Basallo will handle primary catching duties with Alex Jackson as the backup.
- Basallo, 21, entered as a top prospect after hitting .270/.377/.589 with 23 home runs in 76 Triple-A games and has already contributed key RBIs in his first week in the majors.
- It is the first multiyear extension for a homegrown player under general manager Mike Elias, marking a notable shift for a front office that had previously avoided long-term deals.
- At a Saturday news conference, Rubenstein called the deal a "symbolic first step," and Elias said Basallo and Rutschman can coexist by sharing catching duties and using first base and designated hitter to keep both bats in the lineup.