Particle.news

Download on the App Store

Nevada Confirms Ransomware Attack, Says Some Data Was Taken

Officials now call the breach ransomware, with unspecified information removed from state systems as analysis continues.

Overview

  • The incident began around 1:52 a.m. PT on Sunday and has kept multiple state websites, phone lines, and agency systems offline, closing in‑person services at agencies including the DMV.
  • State leaders said they have no evidence so far that personal data was compromised, and they urged residents to ignore unsolicited requests for information or payment.
  • CISA and the FBI are assisting the response, and the state has launched a criminal investigation into the intrusion.
  • At a Wednesday press conference in Carson City, officials confirmed ransomware and acknowledged data was exfiltrated but declined to specify what was taken.
  • Emergency services such as 911 remain available, some employees have returned to work, and agencies are using temporary routing and other workarounds as restoration continues.