Particle.news

NBA Says Bucks–Giannis Investigation Is Ongoing After Dispute Over Return Scrimmages

The inquiry will show how strictly the league applies its rule that healthy stars must play.

Overview

  • Antetokounmpo, who spoke to reporters Friday before the Celtics game, said he is healthy and wants to play and called being held out a slap in his face.
  • The NBA said its inquiry is ongoing and that the Bucks scheduled three-on-three scrimmages last week as part of his return plan, which he declined to join.
  • Investigators have interviewed Antetokounmpo, Bucks officials, and team doctors, and the sides are giving opposite accounts of his readiness and medical clearance.
  • Milwaukee has listed him out with a left knee hyperextension and bone bruise and on Saturday ruled him out for Sunday, which would be his 11th straight missed game.
  • The dispute comes as the player-participation policy aims to keep healthy stars on the court and as Antetokounmpo’s contract clock moves toward an October extension window after the Bucks missed the playoffs.