Overview
- One day after a fiery hearing, NASCAR told a federal court it will not issue, sell, convey, or lease any additional charters for the 2025 Cup season, and it capped any new 2026 charters at no more than four.
- The filing covers the six disputed charters tied to 23XI Racing and Front Row Motorsports, who argue losing them would cause irreparable harm to their businesses.
- Thursday’s hearing aired explicit texts and emails from Michael Jordan, Denny Hamlin, and 23XI executives, as well as internal NASCAR messages referencing an “Amanda chart” and “zero wins for the teams.”
- Judge Kenneth Bell said the charter system itself could be at stake, urged both sides to consider settlement, and said he will rule on the injunction request next week with a Dec. 1 jury trial set.
- NASCAR previously indicated it had an interested buyer for a charter, prompting the judge to question why an open slot couldn’t be used, as 23XI and Front Row continue competing as open entries in 2025.