Overview
- In a formal letter, Gov. Wes Moore invited President Trump to Baltimore next month for a public safety walk with Mayor Brandon Scott and State’s Attorney Ivan Bates to discuss crime strategies.
- Mayor Brandon Scott said Baltimore does not need the National Guard and asked for more FBI, DEA and ATF support plus restoration of public safety grants, pointing to a 28.8% drop in homicides so far this year.
- At Pimlico Race Course, Moore told Trump to “keep our name out of your mouth” if he will not engage with local solutions and communities.
- Trump has deployed 800 D.C. National Guard members to Washington and labeled Baltimore “so far gone,” then joined law enforcement and Guard personnel on a patrol in the District on Thursday night.
- Moore says he will not authorize the Maryland National Guard for non‑mission‑aligned municipal policing and has called the federal plan “deeply dangerous,” while the White House has not responded to his invitation.