Overview
- In a Sunday ABC News interview, the Maryland governor said he has no interest in fighting with the president and reiterated that National Guard troops are not trained for municipal policing.
- Moore invited the president to join a public safety walk in Baltimore and said he wants increased support for local law enforcement rather than a Guard deployment.
- Trump has threatened to send the National Guard into Baltimore and to pull funding for the Francis Scott Key Bridge rebuild, though experts note his authority is uncertain and Congress approved full federal funding last year.
- Political analysts say the dispute poses little risk to Moore in a Democratic-leaning state and has elevated his profile as he appears on national outlets and draws fundraising.
- Local commentary criticizes Moore for favoring national media over Maryland reporters, and the feud has revived questions about his Bronze Star that he says stemmed from a past paperwork mistake before receiving the medal in 2024.