Particle.news

Download on the App Store

Mauritania Shipwreck Death Toll Rises to 69 as Dozens Remain Missing

The disaster intensifies scrutiny of EU-backed migration controls in Mauritania after an HRW report alleging widespread abuses.

Overview

  • The Mauritanian coast guard says 69 bodies have been recovered and search operations continue for the missing after a boat capsized off M'haijatt.
  • The vessel was carrying about 160 people when it overturned on August 27 roughly 60 kilometers north of Nouakchott, according to officials.
  • Authorities report 17 survivors were rescued, and survivors said the boat had been at sea for six days before it sank.
  • Caminando Fronteras said many aboard were from Gambia and Senegal, highlighting the West African origins of those taking the Atlantic route to the Canaries.
  • The incident comes as HRW details alleged abuses by Mauritanian forces linked to EU and Spanish cooperation, which the European Commission says it will review.