Overview
- On August 28, Justice T. V. Thamilselvi dismissed Sun Pictures’ appeal, keeping the adult-only certificate in force.
- The CBFC told the court that a five-member examining panel and a 10-member revising panel unanimously found the film fit only for an A rating due to frequent violence and sustained depictions of smoking and alcohol use.
- During an oral hearing, the revising committee said a U/A certificate would require specific cuts, which the producers declined before releasing the film on August 14.
- The appeal was filed under Section 5 of the Cinematograph Act, while the CBFC relied on Section 58(2) and the 1991 guidelines to defend its decision.
- The board said any bid for a U/A re-certification would require the edits previously indicated, as the movie continues a strong box-office run past Rs 500 crore worldwide.