Particle.news

Download on the App Store

Judge Bars Abrego Garcia’s Removal and Schedules Oct. 6 Hearing on Planned Uganda Transfer

The order preserves his chance to seek asylum before any transfer to Uganda.

Overview

  • U.S. District Judge Paula Xinis extended a temporary restraining order keeping Kilmar Abrego Garcia in ICE custody within 200 miles of her Maryland court and set an Oct. 6 evidentiary hearing.
  • The court said it will aim to issue a decision within 30 days after the hearing, leaving him in the U.S. at least into October.
  • Abrego Garcia’s lawyers have moved to reopen his immigration case and seek asylum; Justice Department lawyers said DHS could likely complete a reasonable‑fear screening within about two weeks.
  • The administration says it intends to deport him to Uganda and objected to the injunction but will comply; the judge noted the lack of Ugandan assurances compared with written guarantees previously offered by Costa Rica.
  • Separately, his attorneys asked a Tennessee court to restrict officials’ public comments in his human smuggling case, citing prejudicial statements by senior officials as he maintains his denial of MS-13 ties.