Particle.news

Cologne Declines Purchase Option for Felipe Chávez

The 19-year-old made only substitute appearances so Bayern will reassess his development plan and next move.

Overview

  • 1. FC Köln confirmed on Thursday that it will not exercise the option to buy Felipe Chávez and said the midfielder will return to Bayern Munich after a six-month loan.
  • Chávez appeared in seven Bundesliga matches for Köln, all as second-half substitutes, and did not secure a regular starting role.
  • The player debuted for Bayern earlier this year and remains under contract with the club through mid-2027, so Bayern will evaluate options including another loan, integration or transfer offers.
  • Bayern sporting director Christoph Freund had sent Chávez to Köln expecting regular Bundesliga minutes as part of a clear development plan, a plan now needing reassessment after limited playing time.
  • Chávez previously told German media in March that he prioritized staying with Köln over joining Peru for friendlies, a decision that highlights the short-term trade-offs young players face between club development and international chances.