Overview
- City officials said just after midnight that the hazardous materials had been moved to a secure site and the Manchester Industrial evacuation was lifted, with controlled detonations to continue Thursday.
- Bomb disposal and tactical teams began small, controlled explosions Wednesday at the discovery site because moving the unstable substance was initially too risky.
- The material was identified as picric acid that had been mislabelled and left for about 10 days, and a moving company had been tasked with disposing of several substances including that package.
- Deputy Chief Cliff O’Brien said picric acid is safe when properly handled but becomes highly explosive when dried or disturbed.
- Police have opened an investigation into how the chemicals were handled and whether criminal charges are warranted, after earlier no‑fly and transit restrictions and nearby business closures.