Overview
- The court held that tariff‑imposing authority rests with Congress and said the levies unlawfully covered nearly all imports without a time limit.
- Execution of the judgment is stayed until October 14, so the contested duties remain in force, and Trump said on social media that all tariffs still apply.
- Justice Secretary Pam Bondi confirmed the plan to appeal to the U.S. Supreme Court, prolonging the fight over the tariff program.
- The U.S. International Trade Commission previously found in late May that the president exceeded his authority by imposing untargeted surcharges.
- Sector‑specific duties imposed under other statutes are not affected by this ruling, and a final invalidation could prompt refund claims on part of the roughly $107 billion collected since February.